General Questions

Click here and select "mail" for instructions on how to write to a prisoner.

Click here to view the visitation schedule and rules.

A government issued picture ID that is not expired or altered in any way. Click here for more information.

Yes, as long as it is not expired, legible, and not altered in any way. Click here for more information.

You do not need to pre-schedule, but pre-scheduling makes it so no one else could come in and visit the prisoner that day. Also pre-scheduling makes it so you can get into the visit you want rather than having to wait longer if the section is filled up. Click here for more information

From the time the person arrives at the jail, the booking process takes an average of 6-8 hours. If the person is intoxicated, non-compliant or otherwise unable to be processed, the time may be extended.

We cannot release this information to you unless you are the prisoner’s financial Power of Attorney.

You will need to come into the Jail Administration Office between 8 am-8 pm daily, fill out a property release form and have a government issued ID. It takes approximately 48 hours after the paperwork is complete before the property can be picked up.

We do not give out release dates. If you would like to know please ask the prisoner.

Yes, the prisoner will be allowed free local phone calls 15-30 minutes prior to their release in order to make arrangements to be picked up.

Prisoners can purchase hygiene items, snacks and writing supplies. It is comparable to what it would cost at a gas station.

All new books need to be purchased and sent directly from the publisher to the jail via USPS only. It must have the prisoners name and SO# on the package. It also has to have a cover that could be torn.

Click here and select "mail" for instructions on how to write to a prisoner.

Click here and select "email" for instructions on how to write to a prisoner.

You can set up a pre-paid account with Century Link at 1-888-506-8407 or on the web site: Or the prisoner can purchase minutes through commissary.

Click here and select "phone" for more information.

You can send money orders or a cashier’s check. Please do not send cash through the mail, per Post Office recommendations

No, one must be purchased through commissary.

If your documents require a civil service, you can bring the document to our Civil Unit at the Sheriff’s Office Building @ 3365 S. 900 W. SLC, Utah 84119. The paperwork will be served upon the prisoner and you will be provided with a receipt of service.

*Please note that it is the prisoners’ responsibility to return the signed document via mail; the Officer does not wait and return the document to you.

The Civil Unit is open for same day service, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The cost is $22.50 for paperwork within Utah and $27.50 for paperwork outside of Utah. You can also send legal documents directly to the prisoner via mail at the following address:
Salt Lake County Jail
SO# (prisoner)
3415 S. 900 W.
SLC, Utah 84119

**Typical paperwork requiring civil service include: divorce papers, summons, court documents, eviction orders, small claims, protective/stalking orders (no cost).

If you need to pick up a prisoners’ property, vehicle impound release, power of attorney, prisoner medical records or any other documents that do not require a civil service, you can bring the paperwork to the Jail Administration Officer at 3415 S. 900 W. SLC, Utah 84119 and they will obtain the signature for you and have it available for pick-up 24 hours later in the same place. You can also mail the documents to the prisoner if desired.

*If you have questions as to what can or cannot be delivered to a prisoner, you can call (385) 468-8400 24/7.

Contact Form

Contact us by sending an email to: Note: This email address is used for non-emergency contact with the Salt Lake County Sheriffs Office. If you are in need of immediate emergency help contact 911. If you seek police assistance, or to report a crime contact dispatch at 801-743-7000.